Healthy Schools Act Hero Awards
Become a “Healthy Schools Act Hero” by sharing your school’s efforts to promote healthy eating or active living. Simply submit a photo with a caption, a student drawing, a poem, an article, a video, a recap of program or special event, or anything else that captures your school’s efforts. Complete the entry form and submit it to D.C. Hunger Solutions by June 30, 2011.
We will feature all entries on the Healthy Schools Act website.
Prizes will be awarded to entries based on creativity, impact of promoting physical activity or healthy eating, and ability for others to replicate.
- First Prize – $1,000 for a special assembly or event on Healthy Eating or Active Living.
- Second Prize – $500 to purchase physical activity equipment.
- Third Prize – 250 pedometers for students, faculty, or families to track how many steps they take each day.
- Honorable Mentions — 10 breakfast aprons and 250 magnets.
As the school year draws to a close, D.C. Hunger Solutions applauds your efforts to implement the D.C. Healthy Schools Act. This landmark legislation aimed at reducing the city’s alarming rates of childhood obesity through healthier eating and improved physical activity is making a tremendous difference. In visits to more than 50 schools, we’ve seen:
- Thousands of additional children starting the day off with a healthier breakfast – with less sugary cereals and more fruits and whole grains.
- Teachers integrating nutrition facts into math lessons.
- Children moving each day through the Jammin’ Minute.
- Morning announcements featuring a preview of the lunch menu and why it’s important to eat the vegetable of the day.
We want to better share these achievements with you and ultimately, schools across the country that are interested in learning about the successes of the Healthy Schools Act. That’s why we hope you will nominate your school as a “Healthy Schools Hero.” We will gather your stories into a “Healthy Schools Hero” showcase.
D.C. Hunger Solutions thanks Kaiser Permanente and the Walmart Foundation for their support in putting the Healthy Schools Act into Action.